Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Lost Thoughts - 5/18 - "What They Died For"

Nitpicks and Expectations

I hate being that guy. I do. But again, I sometimes I feel like I have to be. And I want this show to be about what happens to these characters. Unfortunately, I find myself to be rather frustrated knowing that there are two and a half hours left and there is so much that isn’t clear. The name of the episode is also "What they died for" yet Jacob really isn't completely clear on that either, even though he answers the question as if he gave a definitive answer.

As I stated earlier this season, the problem lies in expectations. Expectations over certain questions that need to be answered. But honestly there is a level of basic storytelling that I feel we haven’t quite met yet.

Rules, rules and more rules. Like being expected to answer a multiple choice test with an essay



So the Smoke Monster is a murderous dick at this point. I get that. What I don’t understand is why things are so dependent upon him not leaving. How is it that the light of the island affects the rest of the world? At this point I feel as if I can infer that Locke needs to exterminate the light in order to leave. His smokiness is tethered to the light, and only be exterminating it will he be able to leave. And the light is intrinsically tied to the protector. If the protector or any potential protectors are alive, then the light cannot be extinguished. Which explains Locke’s attempt to destroy all the candidates in one fell swoop.

The thing I’m still unclear about, and maybe I am just missing something, is why this light is just so damned important? If it goes out, what does that mean for the rest of the world? Mother (I really wish these people had actual names) said last week that the light was “life, death, rebirth. The source…the heart of the island”. Yet, on a macro level, are we to imply that this light has an effect on the world as a whole? Jacob mentions that everyone you ever cared about is in danger. But why? This to me is the crucial issue I have. I like to know, very specifically, what the stakes are. I find it difficult to get behind the motivations of the characters if I do not understand what the stakes are.

Plus with Desmond as this failsafe, wouldn’t the destruction of the island also result in the destruction of Locke? Locke doesn’t seem to think so, but if both sides think using Desmond is a viable option then which one is right?

Granted one could say that is irrelevant and focus on the fact that Locke killed their friends and a level of vengeance and justice is necessary as really that’s the only reason needed for him to be killed. But they continue to build up the importance of the island as a whole and a part of me just isn’t comprehending it.

Also, I really don’t understand the rules of ghosts on the island. Hurley can see ghosts. Fine. I can accept that. Miles can hear their thoughts after they died. That’s all right too. But when you have little baby Jacobs running around that everyone can see only to have some burning ashes turn Ghost Jacob corporeal, well, I can’t say I get that.

There can only be one.


This is unfortunate because I feel the episode was a very good episode and while it was ultimately a set-up episode, I put in motion things that will surely be more evident in the finale. Jack’s acceptance of his role as island’s protector was rather predictable, but I feel that either in the direction or the editing it was kind of an anti-climactic moment. Suddenly, Jack stands up and says “I’ll do it” without really any sort of build up. The entire season, if not the entire series, has been building up to that moment and it felt almost brushed aside. There should have been an epic sort of quality to the way he stood up and accepted his role.

The return of Ben was also welcome, as he was certainly missed the last couple episodes. There seems to be something up his sleeve. I can’t imagine that he is going to senselessly murder the remaining candidates after being manipulated by Locke so easily into killing Jacob. The murder of Widmore makes sense, given their history. But I cannot help but feel as if Widmore was dispatched far too easily. I still don’t fully understand his place on the show and what his intentions ever really were. I would have appreciated a little more clarity on that front.

Yet, clearly there was a sense of nostalgia that permeated much of the episode. Michael Giacchino’s season one theme that was present many times when the castaways were trying to just survive on the beach made its return tonight as Sawyer watched the wreckage of the sub wash up on the beach, echoing the way the characters watched the wreckage of 815 wash on shore so many years ago. There is no question that the intent was to elicit memories of those much simpler times in an attempt to put everything into perspective coming into the final hours of the show.

There is one Desmond…and he has a plan.



Surprisingly where the show was really fantastic was in the sideways world. The return of Rousseau was not something I had anticipated in this last year, and it was fun to see her as a single mother, possibly even with romantic undertones towards Ben. To have their lives mirror in a way what happened on the island (just with a whole lot less crazy) was certainly a fun thing to see. Not to mention Ana Lucia showing up again as apparently a rather easily corruptible cop.

And what can be said about Desmond? He is far and away my favorite character on the show. The way in which he carries himself in both timelines, his attitude, his undying love for Penelope, all of it is just extremely entertaining and I could watch a show just about him. The fact that he wasn’t even a full time player until season 3 is something that seems unfathomable at this point in the show. His nonchalance and deep purpose he has in reuniting all the characters who were supposed to be on the island is extraordinarily entertaining. He has a plan and he is executing it to a T.

Not only that, but these characters are apparently starting to get full recognition of their island lives, since Hurley was completely aware of Ana Lucia and who she is. And I cannot wait to see all of this culminate in the finale this upcoming Sunday.

Everything that has a beginning has an end.

There is no question I’m going to be partially let down when it’s all over. I feel at this point it’s inevitable. But if they do what they say they’re going to do and make it completely character centric, setting in motion much of the action and adventure Lost is known for, and pushing the mysteries off to the side, I feel as if they can really deliver something spectacular. What’s interesting is that I started writing this with deliberately negative thoughts. Yet, the more I think about the episode and how it sets things up, I find myself much more positive than I was when I began. There are certainly some nitpicks. I cannot argue that.

But when I look at the show as attempting to reach two specific goals, I feel much more positive about it. The first is Locke must be stopped on the island. He must be killed or destroyed or however you kill a monster made of smoke. The second goal is for the sideways characters to fully understand where they came from and connect that timeline with the timeline the audience has been following for the last six years. If those two things can be accomplished in an entertaining and emotional way, irrespective of any lingering questions, I feel that the finale will be a success.

Only 5 days until we find out for ourselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment