Wednesday, August 29, 2012

All Whedon, All the Time! - Joss to write and possibly direct "S.H.I.E.L.D." pilot



The big news this morning is that Joss Whedon is going to write, and possibly direct (just like the headline!) the ABC pilot of "S.H.I.E.L.D." And...well, that's pretty much it. His frequent collaborators Jed Whedon and Maurissa Tancharoen will assist him in these development duties.

I know I'm simply jumping on the bandwagon of all the other reports that are going crazy over this news, but there really isn't much to speculate about at this point. The likelihood that there will be any characters from the movies (outside of maybe a couple of S.H.I.E.L.D. lackeys that will show up in the "Item 47" short that's on the Blu-Ray coming out next month) seems to be pretty slim. People seem to be jumping to the conclusion that Nick Fury won't be involved and that Maria Hill (Cobie Smulders) may or may not following the conclusion of her show "How I Met Your Mother". Which is pretty much an irrelevant argument at this point since we know so little.

Personally, I'm happy to see Whedon return to television, but I'm not really sure about the subject matter. As huge of a Marvel fan I am, I just don't see how you can set a series in that universe and not be able to use your heroes. I suppose they could use it to introduce smaller deal third string characters to the universe, but will the actors be talented enough to potentially show up in an "Avengers 2"? At any rate we're getting ahead of ourselves here because the pilot hasn't even been written yet. And ABC could choose not to pick it up. (Doubtful, but possible.)

It's just too bad we won't be seeing any Agent Coulson. You were taken from us too soon, Phil.



No comments:

Post a Comment