Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Rupert Wyatt frontrunner to direct Star Trek 3? No real news leads to headlines with question marks?



In news that's bound to make some subsection of Trek fans angry (because there's always a legion of angry Trek fans somewhere), Collider is reporting that Rupert Wyatt is the front runner to replace J.J. Abrams as the director of Star Trek 3. And it was announced yesterday that Alex Kurtzman and Bob Orci are on board to write the screenplay as they did for the first two.

This is actually all positive news in my opinion. I'm hoping that Kurtzman and Orci are able to come up with something fresh for this outing, as fan reaction was leaning negative on Into Darkness. I for one really liked it when I saw it, but it's lost a little bit of luster for me since it left theaters. Just hasn't resonated with me like the first one did.

Wyatt showed himself a solid director after Rise of the Planet of the Apes and is leaps and bounds above the rumored Jon M. Chu that was mentioned yesterday. I'm a big fan of Abrams, but I get why people don't like him and it makes sense. Hopefully having a little more conventional of a director will continue this franchise in a positive way.

Of course, none of this is even close to confirmed, with the exception of the screenwriters being locked in, so who knows what will end up happening.

Star Trek 3 is rumored for release for the 50th anniversary of Star Trek in 2016.

No comments:

Post a Comment